Friday, June 26, 2015

At first birds ate all my fruit, then stopped...

About six Brown Turkey figs in the past few days.  Hooray, the birds are finally allowing me to eat some of my own fruit. Thank you Birds!

In all fairness, I think that in this part of SoCal, there was a shortage of food (in nature) this Spring especially to feed the little ones. My fruit production is several weeks late this year, across the board. I think this may be a phenomenon caused by our very warm winters these past couple years, but especially this year, as well as the drought. If everything is late, there could have been less foods than usual when the eggs hatched and the little ones needed to be fed. 

The problem went away by itself in the past week or 10 days. No netting or other anti-bird measures required. 

I do strongly believe that gardening is a partnership. We do not do all the work so we should not reap all the rewards. I love birds and they take care of a lot of pests. 

Better pay the birds in kinds than giving our hard-earned cash to Monsanto, Bayer, Dow Chemical and the likes. 

Maybe I romanticize the whole thing a bit, but at the same time, I really want to give my new ecocentric method a good try. And so far, so good. Even though the year had not started too well, I think we may be back on track. 

No comments:

Post a Comment