Thursday, February 13, 2014

Making sugarcane syrup without a press

David, author of Florida Survival Gardening blog explains how to make Sugarcane syrup at home, without a press.

I've been growing sugarcane for a couple years now. It grows fast, is quite prolific and does not need as much water as I had thought. I've been looking for a way to extract the juice, but the cane juice extractors are so expensive and I have no idea if they are any good, where to get them serviced if they break, etc.

And how can I ever recoup the cost of such a purchase, unless it lasts literally forever…

I found one local reseller of extractors, and several distributors across the Pacific. Not a simple purchase and a lot of the cost is shipping (actually higher than the actual extractor in many cases.)

I may give David's method a try, and I will also see if a pressure cooker might be helpful in reducing the extraction time, as opposed to just boiling the cane in water.

No comments:

Post a Comment