Saturday, February 9, 2013

The Vanishing of Bees

I'm only half way through this but already felt it's worth sharing, because it gives an insight into agribusiness from a new angle: the pollination of crops.

Some of the reviews I read on Netflix are critical of it for being overly religious.  The jury is still out on this as far as I'm concerned but that may be because I'm only 1/2 way through.

God is mentioned in the film, and a lot more than once. And the most prominent people in the movie are very religious.  But I'm not convinced that the the point of the movie is going to be the rapture. But those who made the critical reviews might have watched the whole movie while I haven't. Let me know your thoughts if you take a look at it.

This is both interesting and disturbing and yet another snapshot of agribusiness and how lack of finesse with Nature.  Agriculture is now an industry and it's eerily similar to other industries, whether they build cars, refine oil, or make steel. The agricultural industry produces plants to make food or feed

And when I look at agricultural workers, at all levels, I see people like us.  Some just do their jobs, some do it more reluctantly occasionally stopping to scratch their heads and themselves "what on earth are we doing here??!!"

See for yourself.  Hopefully this preview will make you curious enough about this documentary to watch it yourself.  It's available on Netflix for streaming.

No comments:

Post a Comment