Saturday, November 17, 2012

Recipes are to Cooking what Etiquette is to Living

Yesterday, I made pickles for the first time.  ...could not find the recipe I wanted  ...my cucumbers did not fit, whole, in my 1 qt jars   ... And I did not have dill called for, and could not bear the idea of a trip to the grocery store.


“One of the secrets, and pleasures, of cooking is to learn to correct something if it goes awry; and one of the lessons is to grin and bear it if it cannot be fixed.” 
― Julia ChildMy Life in France

I improvised:  Quartered the cukes before brining them.  Ignored the dill that was called for.  Threw in a small amount of mustard seeds, coriander and, in some of the jars I hope I can identify later, a few fenugreek seeds.


We'll see what happens...!




No comments:

Post a Comment